1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before? Got pregnant, bought a house. Those are the big things anyway. I also snorkelled for the first time
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don’t really make New Year’s resolutions. So no I didn’t keep them and no I won’t make them for next year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes, my sister had a baby in April. Some friends also had a baby in August. I think that’s all…My cousin had a baby too, but we aren’t close.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Nope, she’s still holding on
5. What places did you visit? Playa del Carmen, it was great fun, beautiful, adventurous. Probably not somewhere I’d go back but had a good time and it was great to see our friends. Does Vernal count? haha We didn’t really go anywhere else.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013? More money? Just kidding. A healthy baby. More time with the family
7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? The day we made our baby, which also happens to be my love’s birthday. The day we found out we were pregnant. The day we got legally married in our home state.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? That’s hard. Biking to work on a fairly regularly basis when it was warmer out was a big goal and achievement of mine. Saving for and buying a house was a pretty big deal.
9. What was your biggest failure? Talking my wife into wasting a vial of sperm. That was not my smartest move
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I got a pretty wicked bone bruise playing basketball this spring. I’ve never experienced such pain before. I guess that means I’m getting older
11. What was the best thing you bought? The house, the other half of our kiddo’s DNA as well and all those adult donor photos. We could have picked a pretty sketchy looking dude if we didn’t. Sometimes what looks good on paper looks so different in reality
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Too many people to say really. I have felt so much love and acceptance from so many people, especially over the last few months. I never guessed so many people would be so thrilled about our pregnancy and marriage. We’re really pretty lucky
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Nearly every politician in Utah, especially Gov. Herbert and Swallow. Can’t forget the lovely Gayle Ruzicka.
14. Where did most of your money go? The house, and sperm. and the two best things we bought so I can’t complain
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Honestly, the thing that made me the most excited was being able to legally marry my wife in bloody freaking Utah. Most people that know me know that I don’t outwardly express my emotions often, but all of my coworkers thought it was just adorable how excited I was.
16. What song will always remind you of 2013? I don’t really listen to music on the radio so I’m not sure I could tell you many songs that came out in 2013. I would say the “32” the parody of “22” that could very well have been 2012, but it reminds me of 2013 and I LOVE it!
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? a little bit of both
b) thinner or fatter? about the same…for now
c) richer or poorer? definitely richer, 2012 was not a good year for money
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Spending time with family, especially Tough Cookie. We had a bit of a falling out about a year ago and spent the first few months of 2013 not really talking much at all. I really really wish I could go back and do that whole thing differently. I also wish we would have spent more time in the outdoors. We did a lot of hiking, but no backpacking and only went camping once I think.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Binge watching tv shows on netflix. It is so addicting and so easy to do, especially when it’s cold out and you don’t have the energy to do anything else.
20. How did you spend Christmas in 2013? We spend Christmas Eve with my mom, sister and her family. It was really fun. We woke up and opened presents and then drove 3 hours to spend Christmas with my wife’s family for a few hours and then drove back. Maybe I should consider Jamie’s request to get her pilot license after all.
21. Did you fall in love in 2013? I fall more in love with my wife ever single day. I am falling in love with Bubbles. I continue to fall in love with nature and the beauty of our state (and the places we travel)
22. What was your favorite TV program? Hmmm probably Orange is the New Black
23. What did you do for your birthday in 2013? Jamie and I had the most amazing joint birthday party ever. I turned 31 on the 31st, you only have a golden birthday once, so we had a huge party at an indoor trampoline park. It was tons of fun.
24. What was the best book you read? This is a hard one, Room and Hood by Emma Donaghue were both really good. I need to read more in 2014 for sure. After being in school for a looooong time I mostly read silly books this year.
25. What did you want and get? Pregnant for sure.
26. What did you want and not get? Tough Cookie to get better, beat cancer and stick around for a long long time
27. What was your favorite film of this year? Concussion was by far one of the best lesbian films I’ve ever seen. Fruitvale Station was a stellar flick. Runners up: The Way Way Back, The Heat, and Gravity
28. Did you make some new friends this year? es Yes I did, quite a few actually
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Less winter and more summer?
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013? non existent. I need a new casual wardrobe
31. What kept you sane? Oh I don’t think I’ve ever had a problem staying sane
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? fancy as in think they are extremely good looking? Jennifer Nettles, only cause she looks so much like my sexy wife. Fancy as in think they are an amazing kick ass woman? Wendy Davis
33. What political issue stirred you the most? All of them? All of the anti-abortion bills and anything to do with LGBT rights
34. Who did you miss? I miss all my friends from grad school.
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013. I’d say I learned to enjoy the time I have with the people I love. It’s not always easy to do, especially if the other folks aren’t on the same page, but it’s worth trying