On Monday, June 9th we had an appointment and ultrasound with our MFM OB. At our last appointment we had all pretty much decided and agreed that my placenta wasn’t going to budge and had agreed that this appointment would be to go over our birth plan and pick a c-section date. Activist Genius was planning on coming to the appointment with us, to advocate for a family centered cesarean and for scheduling purposes. Then, Activist Genius had to leave town at the last minute and wasn’t able to make it and it turned out she didn’t really need to be there.
Wifey missed the ultrasound because she had to work (the new job is very demanding…for now). This time they did a transvaginal ultrasound to get a better look because Bubbles’ head and arms were a little in the way the last time and now he was even bigger. Since it was a different type of ultrasound I wasn’t sure what I was looking at. It was also a different tech this time (all the other ultrasounds I had the same tech, who was awesome) this tech didn’t seem to know very much at all, or even why I was there. She asked me about cervical checks (not allowed with previa) and water breaking, etc. It was weird and a little concerning. Anywho, I asked the tech to show me the cervical os and the placenta. I realized it wasn’t covering my cervix at all and asked her if I was right. She said I was and measured how far away the edge of the placenta was, about 1.5 cm. I was beyond overjoyed. Previously, our OB said I could try a vaginal birth at 1 cm away in the hospital and home birth if it moved to 2 cm away.
Wifey came shorty after the ultrasound and I hesitantly shared the amazing news with her. I was trying not to get too excited until we met with the OB. When the OB came in, she said “Well we are going to have quite a different conversation than we all planned on”. She explained that I was still in the unpredictable zone, but that I could try a vaginal birth, in the hospital, if I wanted to. Or we could opt for a scheduled c-section at 39 weeks, but there was no need for the 37 week c-section anymore. And if I wanted we could do another ultrasound at 39 weeks, if it would impact my decision. We left the appointment ecstatic and trying to decide the best plan for our family. I was heavily leaning towards waiting for labor to start on its on and trying a vaginal birth. I wanted to talk to Activist Genius to see what she thought and was able to talk to her a few days later. She explained she didn’t have much advice because they don’t see these cases, they automatically transfer care with a previa, but she definitely supported my decision to try a vaginal birth.
Wifey and I had discussed how we could still have Activist Genius at the birth. Her last day at the hospital would be June 30th and with a due date of July 11th, it was unlikely I would go into labor before she left. We knew she’d be in Utah until at least mid July though. We came up with the idea of using her as a “doula”. I talked to her about it and although she said it was unconventional, she was happy to do it. Horray, our dreams of a vaginal birth, a full term baby and Activist Genius at the birth were all working out.
I told my boss the next day and said I’d be around for a few more weeks. I took on some new projects and procrastinated some things I should have done asap…oops. My sister cancelled her flight to be here to meet Bubbles and attend his naming ceremony. My dad went ahead and planned his road trip for the 29th- 6th, when the naming ceremony would be.
Then, Saturday the 14th, we were supposed to be interviewing a potential nanny. I woke up at about 7:00 am to red blood. Not a lot of it, maybe like a period starting, but enough to call Activist Genius and head to the hospital. It’s crazy how many people ask you how much blood it was, like measuring blood is something we all do a lot, especially when it’s diluted in a toilet bowl. I had been spotting since the ultrasound, but when I talked to the MFM department they said since it was brown it was fine, I wish I would have known that it was a sign of what was coming.
Activist Genius met us at the hospital (seriously she is the most amazing midwife ever) and I got poked and proded and speculumed. They took out blood clots and weighed them, they said it was about 60 cc’s, plus whatever I lost at home. They kept me there for a few hours and finally sent us home and we continued to plan for the best.