I realized I never said what we named our son. We had a naming ceremony when he was 9 days old, finally announcing his name to our family and friends which was why I didn’t include his name when I announced his birth here. His name is Matthijs. Matthijs is after my great-grandfather, my mom’s grandfather who immigrated to the United States with his wife and all their children in 1950 from The Netherlands. I never got to meet him, or my grandmother, but I have heard that he was an incredible man. We wanted his name to have meaning other than we just liked it and it fits him perfectly.
- Matthijs loves showers. To be fair he’s only had two baths, one he hated and one he enjoyed for a couple of minutes. Showers though, he loves. He moves his little feet in the water and cuddles up in our arms and falls asleep. I could tell he liked the shower while I was pregnant too. The kid is like me, he likes the heat.
- He also loves to cuddle. The only place he will sleep in someone’s arms or on their chest. We try to put him to sleep, or when he is already asleep, on his back in our bed or his crib or his bouncy chair he wakes up almost immediately screaming. He can tell when someone isn’t there wrapped up around him.
- Nursing..I could write a book about our breastfeeding relationship. I’ll just say that it’s been hard. One day he nursed for 5 hours straight, with a few 10 minute breaks. We’ve negotiated and it’s not as intense now, but he’d still nurse all day if I let him.
- The only other thing that really calms him down is being outside. Sometimes he wants to go for a walk in the stroller, sometimes he just wants to be held outside and sometimes he wants to be worn in the K’tan. It’s an immediate reaction though, which is so interesting. He will be crying and crying and nothing is soothing him and then if we take him outside he stops immediately and just looks around as content as ever. He takes after his mom’s, we love the outdoors too.
- He absolutely hates diaper changes. I’m not sure when this changes for most babies, but I’m doubtful that it will ever be a fun experience for him. He screams the saddest screams ever as soon as we put him on the changing table. At first we thought the wipes were too cold so we bought a wipe warmer, nope he still cries and cries and it ends up taking longer to change him because he wiggles and moves his legs around so much. It’s hard, poor kid.
- He started rolling from his back so his side the first time I laid him on his back and walked away. One time when he was on his side he rolled to his stomach and moved his head to face the opposite direction. He’s strong. When he wants his body to be in a different position, he makes it happen.
- He has the most adorable dimples, like me. Wifey and I were pretty excited when we saw them for the first time.
- He also reached and passed his birth weight finally! It took a whole month and a lot of pumping and constant nursing, but he’s growing and eating well now.
There is so much more to write about his first month, but those are the main points that stuck out for us. I can’t believe he’s been on the outside for 6 weeks already. Time flies and I’m dreading going back to work in 2 weeks. It’s going to take a tremendous amount of willpower to leave him.
Oh and this happened today. The first real smile caught on camera. He may have smiled a couple of times before, but we weren’t sure. Today he smiled with his eyes open wide and kept doing it for a few minutes. It was the most wonderful moment and made all the hours and hours of crying just disappear.