Thijs is 4 months old, well 4 1/2 now. The time is going by so quickly, sometimes I wish I could slow it down, other times it’s so fun to watch him grow and learn new things everyday
Our little peanut is still a little peanut at under 13 lbs at 4 months, following the growth curve but still in the 5% range.
- He really enjoys reading books. Well we read them to him, he doesn’t read yet 😉 I am surprised by his attention span. He will gladly sit on our lap, or lay on the bed/floor, and look at and read books for 10-15 minutes. He likes board books, picture books, and even longer books with a lot of words. He grabs at them and tries to turn the pages himself.
- Our new and amazing nanny takes him all over the city and he loves it. They walk for miles and hours almost every day. Now that it is getting cold out, we need to get him some warmer gear to keep him nice and snuggly on their outings. Recently they went to an art museum and a buddhist temple. Today they are going to a pottery shop. He just loves being outside and really seems to enjoy checking out all the new sights and sounds in his surroundings. He is a really curious and attentive baby, paying a lot of attention to people and things.
- In a fun turn of events, our baby who used to hate diaper changes and being naked, (except in the shower) now loves both of them! He really enjoys his naked time and we try to let him hang out naked for a while after diaper changes and shower time. He just smiles and laughs and recently started whispering as well. He play pat-a-cake with his hands and feet, blow raspberries on his tummy, play peek-a-boo, and sometimes he just tells us stories. I cam imagine that it will be hard to keep clothes on him in the next year or so.
- Something terrible has happened to his sleep. It could be the supposed 4 month sleep regression, he could just have a nursing addiction, or he could just be an infant. He was sleeping one 5-6 (sometimes longer) stretch at the beginning of each night. Then he just stopped. I wasn’t getting any sleep so I decided to try side lying nursing when we woke up to get more sleep myself and that hasn’t helped much either. Last night for fun I checked the clock each time he woke up, it was every 2 hours or less. Why, oh why? This topic deserves it’s own post, so I won’t say much as this is his 4 month update, but he has decided he hates going to sleep, or maybe staying asleep would be more accurate.
- As mentioned above, Thijs loves books. I decided to start adding his favorite book each month to his updates. This month his favorite book has been Green Eggs and Ham. Kind of weird for a 4 month old, but he loves it and will sit through the whole book. A close second is a foam book called ocean. He likes to hold (and try to eat) the pop out pieces that are in the shape of ocean animals, while we read him the book.
- I finally got a real laugh out of Thijs this month. It was on October 17th, which also happened to be his conception anniversary and Wifey’s birthday. I was changing his diaper, which is his happiest time these days. I was playing around with him, singing songs and such, and decided to give peek-a-boo a try but ducking down while he was on his changing table so he couldn’t see me and then popping up. He laughed the cutest little laugh and did it a few times. He hasn’t done it much since, he’s a tough little crowd. He smiles and smiles all day long, but the laughs are hard to get. He’s also started blowing bubbles, cute but messy.
He was Bam Bam for Halloween. Wifey made his costume and did an amazing job. I was Betty Rubble and Wifey was Wilma Flintstone. We kicked Fred and Barney to the curb. He wasn’t too happy because he got woken up from his nap accidentally, but we got one not terrible family photo.
And a couple more pictures from his 4th month: