Thijs is 5 months old (almost 6 now oops). Work has been so busy. I usually try to catch up on reading/posting blogs while I pump, but lately I’ve had to catch up on work. Hopefully I can get caught up soon. I’m trying to get 40 hours of work done in 32 hours and it’s hard, of not impossible.
He is finally getting some fat on his bones. He shot up in weight and was somewhere are the 22nd percentile in weight, still a shorty though.
- Thijs has really discovered his voice and loves to play with it and practice all the new things he learns. He likes to say “hi, hi, hi, hi” over and over and over again. It’s really cute and he especially likes it when we say hi back. He’s also started saying g, k, and d sounds. At one point he became fascinated with whispering and only whispers. He mostly does this during diaper changes. He’ll whisper for a while and then suddenly yell really loud. I think he even startles himself sometimes when that happens.
- He LOVES to be standing up and walking around. He couldn’t be bothered with sitting. He likes us to hold his arms and he just walks around wherever he wants to go. If we didn’t have such a tiny little house I’d consider buying a walker for him. His old moms can’t be hunched over for too long before we get backaches. 😉 Lately he has been doing a side-step sort of thing, it looks like a side squat but he takes a step with it. Silly kid. We joke around that he will walk before he crawls because he still won’t hang out on his tummy at all. He smiles and talks and talks while he is walking though.
- He is a little snuggle bunny. He likes to be snuggled while he naps and sleeps at night. He will really only sleep if he is being held and snuggled. He is also getting more cuddly when he is awake and nuzzles his little face into my necks or rests his head on my shoulder. It just melts my little heart.
- He is getting to be more and more of a baby instead of a newborn everyday. We spend most of our days trying to entertain him and make him smile and laugh. He really likes to be tossed in the air and swung. Is swung a word? He especially likes being swung a few times and tossed onto a pillow, don’t worry only 5 month old style swinging and tossing going on around here. It’s the best when we can get him to squeal or laugh and we usually can get a little grin at least.
- Sleep is still an issue, I already wrote about it, it’s still the same. I’m tired that is all really.
- He started getting frustrated with books because he can’t grab the pictures. So, story time didn’t happen as much this month, or as long. His favorite book for most of the month was Barnyard Dance. He especially likes it when it is read in a southern accent with very enthusiastic and realistic animal sounds. His favorite animal sound is the cock-a-doodle-do part and he gets excited in anticipation when he knows it’s coming.
- We finally heard a full on belly laugh this month. We were driving back from an event and he was mad and tired and crying in his carseat. I was sitting in the back with him trying to cheer him up. I was making silly noises and he finally calmed down. Then I said “ho, ho, ho” in a deep voice. (trying different laughs) and he just cracked up. I kept doing it and he laughed and laughed. It was adorable and I captured a little bit of it on video.
- He is getting better at sitting up by himself. He can do it for a few seconds before he topples over.