I have another post I’m working on that is less baby related and more life related, but I’m pausing from sorting out all those thoughts to bring you Matthijs’ 6 month update. I know I say this all the time, but seriously how has it been 6 months since he was born. It all seems like it happened weeks ago, but yet, it’s hard to remember life before him.
We officially have a chunky monkey on our hands. He’s just under the 50th percentile for weight now and 22nd for height. He’s come a long way from those almost daily weight checks and endless pumping and supplementing days.
- He LOVES the puppies, any puppies really. He thinks everything they do is hilarious, sometimes just looking at them is hilarious. For some reason he thinks Wunbi is much more funny than Xena, which is strange because Wunbi really does not like him at all. He loves when they lick his hands and face (we try really hard to not let them do this most of the time). He tries to stick his hands in their mouth so that they will like him. Funny kid
- He wants to be on the go constantly. He doesn’t roll back to front yet, and hates to be on his belly, and shows no signs of crawling any time soon, but he hates being stuck in one place for very long. He wants us to walk him around while he lunges at the floor, toys, walls, the dogs, etc. If he try to hold him and carry him around to do different things he almost jumps out of our arms when something strikes his fancy. He REALLY want him to learn how to crawl soon because you can only walk around hunched over helping a baby walk for so many hours a day. I think he is going to be all over the place once he is mobile.
- Recently he started lunging towards our plates and looking pretty unhappy that we got to eat food that he didn’t. Well I don’t really think he was upset about the eating part. I am pretty sure he thinks we just have fun toys that he doesn’t, and he wants them too. We are doing baby-led weaning so we just started letting him grab stuff. 99% of the time he plays with it and then throws it on the floor. (I thought the throwing in the floor stuff didn’t start until they were older) The other 1% of the time he attempts to put it in his mouth.
- We have also reached the stranger danger zone. Sometimes he loves new people and thinks they are funny and awesome and he flashes them a shy gummy, dimply smile. Other time his little lip quivers and he starts wailing, looking to us for an immediate out to the situation. If he is being held by the stranger in question he looks at me with such sad pitiful eyes, begging to be rescued, which I do right away of course. This is another thing I also thought started when they were a bit older.
- His favorite book this month was Little Blue Truck, followed closely by Ocean, I am a Bunny and Mama, Mommy and Me. He really likes when Jamie reads Little Blue Truck. He tolerates when I read it, but she does better voices, especially for the big mean dump truck. His frustration with not being able to pick up the pictures in the books seems to be going away for the most part.
- He had he first solid food just shy of 6 months old, bananas! We are doing baby-led weaning (BLW). We had let me lick/suck a banana or an apple here and there before a few times. One night Jamie just gave in to his lunging towards her food and let him have it. He seemed to enjoy it, but got frustrated that it was so slippery. He ended up figuring out the solution was to put it in Jamie’s hand and then push her hand to his mouth, still baby-led right? He made quite the mess of himself, the floor and everything else within a 1 ft radius.
- My mom bought him a jumper on Thanksgiving (well she brought it over on Thanksgiving anyway) and he wasn’t sure what to think of it. He didn’t really get how to jump and just chewed on the toys attached to it, kind of turned in circles and then wanted out after a few minutes. Well, then he learned how to jump and he was so proud of himself. He still doesn’t like it for very long, but as long as someone is there talking to him, playing peek-a-boo or making faces at him he just jumps away.
And a few pictures from his 6th month: